Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day 2007

                                       

 

Being an Army wife and wife of not only a soldier, but a Veteran (Soldier's who've been deployed to Iraq and Afganistan are officially consdered Vets), I do feel this is an important day to remember, be thankful, and acknowledge.

                                          

 

Both my Grandfather's were in the military. My mom's Dad was in the Army and was stationed in Germany...we actually live aprox 1 hr from where he was stationed at and he actually came down here to the city we're in many times! I am one of those people who just truly finds it very cool that my Grandpa walked the same streets that I now walk through 50 years apart!

 

                                  

My dad's dad was in the Navy. My Grandma shared with me how she bought a bus ticket out to California (from Oklahoma) to visit him before he shipped out. One of my grandpa's brother was captured in Japan and was a POW for a couple of years. He never talked about what he endured, ever. I can only imagine it was horrific. That same uncle had watched the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He'd been up on a hill with a few buddies, messing around when the attack occured. Grandma said he only mentioned seeing that horrific scene a couple of times and said it was just beyond words.

 

 

                 

 

My dad was not in the military. He missed being drafted by about 6 months (because of his age and the end of the war). He has 2 brothers and a sister who are all Veteran's. One brother was in the Army (he's not an uncle I personally like actually), another uncle who was in the Marine's (any bad thing you hear about what a Marine is...that fits him! LOL and I KNOW not all Marine's fall under that stereotype...just saying my Uncle "D" does even today!) then my Aunt P. She was first in the Army and her initial 3 yrs got out and joined the Coast Guard (yes she's smart!) She retired after 22 yrs of service and is now a GS worker for the CG.

 

 

                      

              This was taken Oct. 24, 2006 (when Chad returned home from Iraq last year)

 

Then of course...I married my Soldier. He's been deployed 4 times so far. Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq, and Iraq. I couldn't be more proud of him if I tried. He LOVES the Army. He's a soldier through and through. I can't imagine him doing anything else right now and support him 100%. I love this man. He's a man after God's heart, he's a loving husband, amazing Dad, and a Proud Soldier.

 

 

Here's a poem I found:

 

They Did Their Share

On Veteran’s Day we honor
Soldiers who protect our nation.
For their service as our warriors,
They deserve our admiration.

Some of them were drafted;
Some were volunteers;
For some it was just yesterday;
For some it’s been many years;

In the jungle or the desert,
On land or on the sea,
They did whatever was assigned
To produce a victory.

Some came back; some didn’t.
They defended us everywhere.
Some saw combat; some rode a desk;
All of them did their share.

No matter what the duty,
For low pay and little glory,
These soldiers gave up normal lives,
For duties mundane and gory.

Let every veteran be honored;
Don’t let politics get in the way.
Without them, freedom would have died;
What they did, we can’t repay.

We owe so much to them,
Who kept us safe from terror,
So when we see a uniform,
Let’s say "thank you" to every wearer.

By Joanna Fuchs
www.poemsource.com

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.  Jenny (my niece) leaves again in a few weeks, not sure of the exact date, of course, but it is soon.  I am sad, but oh so proud of her.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have thought of a more fitting tribute.  Thank you for everything you have sacrificed to make our country a little bit safer.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute!

Give Chad a huge Thank you on behalf of Jland!

Thank you to all our Soldiers

God Bless each and every one

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

You certainly have every right to be proud of your soldier hubby!!  God bless and keep you all.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Great tribute.
Traci

Anonymous said...

Great tribute..thank you!
hubby is off to Iraq for 6 months in may... :-(
Awesome pic..look at your smile...
Lyn


Anonymous said...

Happy Veteran's Day!
Missie

Anonymous said...

This Navy veteran thanks your hubby!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute/entry!
I use to be a regular reader of your journal.
I'm glad I found my way back to your journal.
Hugs and Love,
Angel

Anonymous said...

great entry:) and thank Chad:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Great senitment...thanks for sharing how improtant this day is to you... and how important it should be to us all.

God bless-
Amanda